Tuition includes catered lunch, Barbering Basics DVD ($100 value), mannequin ($50 value), and a free gift from Zorian Of New York Premium Hair Care Products ($55 value).
I had the honor of teaching 2 barbering demonstrations at IBS New York . It was a great experience meeting so many people in my home state. Many of whom I have met through my online subscription, YouTube, Facebook, and Instagram. I also had the pleasure to see many familiar faces that have attended hands on classes at my barbershops.
The first class I taught was titled “Classic Barbering 101”. See the class description below:
Learn the differences and stunning similarities between classic and modern barbering. Find out how the tools, techniques, and haircuts have changed as well as stayed the same. Watch third generation barber Greg Zorian demonstrate a haircut using techniques and styles from the “good old days” as well as today. Leave this class with a better understanding of the history of our industry as well as what a barber means to his/her community.
The next class I taught was titled “How To Cut and Style the Perfect Pomp”. See the class description below:
Learn the many barbering techniques necessary to create a perfectly balanced pompadour. Using a mix of scissor over comb, clipper over comb, straight razor sculpting, fading, and blending techniques Greg will walk you through the step by step process to completing this popular haircut. You will also learn the styling techniques and products necessary to make your pompadour stand out in a crowd.
I would highly recommend attending both of the International Beauty Shows held in New York City and Las Vegas. The education department does an outstanding job of hiring the best educators in the hair industry. After sitting in on many of my colleague’s classes including technical, business, and motivational I came away inspired and more motivated than ever to get back to work building my barbershops, seminar company, and product company.
It is our pleasure to release this free barber class tutorial to help teach you the basics of barbering. In this video we share with you all of the barbering techniques you need to be a successful barber as well as 3 different popular hairstyles and how to style them. We also introduce you to our line of Zorian of New York premium men’s product line to help you offer the very best in men’s retail to your clients and increase your retail profitability in the process.
In this video you will learn the following barbering techniques: scissor over comb, clipper over comb, fading techniques, blending shear over comb, straight razor over comb, straight razor sculpting, and men’s hair styling techniques. You will also learn the correct body position resulting in the correct posture while you are cutting. This is extremely important for a long pain free career. You will also learn the correct holding of all of the tools that contribute to correct hand dexterity leading ensuring you will always be working in the correct position with the best posture.
All of the above is taught throughout the three haircuts that I demonstrate. The first haircut I demonstrate is a Princeton style haircut. This is a buzz cut with just a little hair in front to brush to the side or flip up in the front. The next haircut is a classic side part or modified pompadour with the part shave in with a straight razor. The final cut is a pompadour with faded sides. All of the haircuts are finished with styling techniques instruction using Zorian of New York premium grooming products. All of our products are made in the U.S.A., never tested on animals, are sulfate and paraben free, and infused with all natural ingredients.
If you are interested in having me teach this presentation at your barbershop, salon, or school please contact me at email@example.com or (518)629-5394 for booking information.
If you are interested in becoming and exclusive retailer of our Zorian Of New York product line contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or (518)629-5394. You can also find out more information and fill out our wholesale application at: www.zorianofnewyork.com/wholesale/
Andis Supra ZR
For this tool tip blog I would like to talk about my new favorite clipper: The Andis Supra ZR Detachable Blade Clipper. It is a cordless rotary motor clipper that uses detachable blades. This particular clipper has made my life so much easier behind the chair. I have all the power I will ever need without the cord. I have used a lot of different clippers in my 25 year career and can honestly say this is my favorite clipper hands down. That is not to say you do not need a high quality adjustable clipper and trimmer also. As I have stated in previous blogs all clippers have their uses and I have always recommended cutting with all three to extend the life of your clippers and to make sure you are using the correct clipper for each part of the haircut.
The specs of the Andis Supra ZR Detachable Blade Clipper are as follows:
- Heavy-duty, detachable blade clipper in cordless design delivers a 2-hour run time on a 2-hour charge.
- Lithium-ion power mated with powerful rotary motor to cut any hair type – wet or dry. This type of battery holds a charge much longer so you do not have to worry about running out of power.
- 5 speeds: Adjustable from 1,800 to 3,800 strokes per minute. This is slower than popular adjustable blade clippers but works excellent for clipper over comb as well as fading when you need that extra torque and power.
- Works with all Andis UltraEdge and Andis CeramicEdge blades. I recommend using the ceramic edge blade because they run cooler and hold their edge longer.
I have been personally using this clipper at my barbershop on ever since it has come on the market and can’t envision a scenario where I will switch back to a corded detachable blade clipper.
Clipper Care is one of the most important yet overlooked procedures when it comes to barbering tools. It is extremely important to have the best clippers and to take proper care of them to ensure consistent haircuts as well as extending their life. I strongly recommend that you own and use three types of clippers on all of your men’s cuts: a detachable blade clipper, an adjustable clipper, and a trimmer. By having these three clippers you will also extend their life buy not using an under powered clipper for certain steps causing it to break down prematurely. Each clipper has it’s purpose and specific uses.
The correct clipper care steps are as follows:
1. After each use brush the hair off of your clippers or clipper blade before hanging it back up or putting the blade back in its case. I like for my customers to see this so they know that I will be using a clean blade on the next customer which means I used a clean blade on them. My favorite clipper brush is a soft bristled clipper brush made by Andis.
2. After brushing your clipper off use the high power Andis Dry Care which will blow off any excess hair stuck on the blades or in between them.
3. When starting a haircut spray your clipper blade with Andis Cool Care. Spray while the clipper is running on the front and back of the blade running the spray back and forth twice. Make sure your customer sees this but also be careful to spray in the opposite direction. The Cool Care spray is a coolant, disinfectant, lubricant, cleaner, and prevents rust all in one. When finished gently wipe off the blade with a soft towel.
4. After using the clipper spray you need to oil your clippers. Place one drop of oil on each part of the blade where you see the metal touching and put two drops across the cutting blade. Turn the clippers on so the oil is distributed evenly throuhout the blade. Avoid over oiling or getting the oil into the motor which will clog it up and slow down or do damage to the motor.
5. At the end of the day use blade care to give your clippers a thorough cleaning. This will get all of the hair out from in between your blades which can slow them down and if wet cause your clippers to rust. Empty just enough of the blade care into a bowl so you can immerse just the tips of the blade into the solution. Turn the clipper on for about 10 seconds and then let all of the excess hair drip out. This solution is a coolant, will prevent rust, deodorizer, decontaminate, lubricant, and cleaner.
Like anything else once you get in the habit of the above clipper care steps you they will become second nature and a part of your day. Your clippers will last longer and cut better resulting in better and consistent haircuts.