Learn how to cut a flat top hairstyle in the following video and step by step guide. Also, learn how to finish off the cut with the correct styling products to keep the cut looking consistent all day.
Start on the right hand side. Use the 3 ½ (3/8”) blade on the detachable blade clipper. Using the fading technique run the clipper up the side of the head to the temple area. Take an imaginary line parallel to the head straight up from the round of the head until you run out of hair. This will avoid leaving a line that needs to be blended out. Make sure not to follow the contour of the head at the parietal area.
Work the clipper around the head until you get to the back. Run the clipper up to the crown and round it off slightly. Even though this haircut is square in shape the back needs to be rounded off slightly for proper balance.
After the back continue on around the opposite side as in step 3.
Next, blend the sides and back to the top. Even though the top has not been cut yet the corners need the square look from a front and back view. It will be much easier to cut the top flat when there is less hair to work with. Use the clipper over comb technique and either a 1 or 1 ½ blade depending on the thickness of the hair. U Hold the comb parallel to the head and take an imaginary line straight up in the air until you run out of hair to cut.
Move on to the semi-finish. Use adjustable clipper starting in the longest setting working down to the shortest setting.
Finish the taper with the adjustable clipper working down from the longest to shortest setting.
Complete the finish with the t-trimmer using it correctly as demonstrated in tools of the trade lessons.
After these steps are completed move on to the top. Blow dry the top with a small amount of alcohol free Zorian of New York firm hold styling gel to get an even shape to work with.
Using the large flat top comb and a clipper over comb technique with the 1 blade. Begin in the front and work towards the back. Keep the comb parallel with the floor and comb through the first section in the center. Very small sections will be needed to avoid clipper marks or lines. Move the comb very slowly toward the back angling the comb slightly downward to meet the guide from the sides and back zone.
Move to either the right or left side of the center section and repeat the process. Make sure the center guide and previous guide are visible. This will help to keep the correct speed and sectioning with the comb. Take as many sections as necessary to meet the guide on the sides.
Repeat the above step on opposite side.
When rough cut is complete re-dry the hair with more product for the fine-tuning. Check from every angle in both the wall and hand mirrors.
Touch up any areas that need it.
Lastly, use a fingertip portion of the Zorian Of New York shaping paste for a strong hold and matte finish to hold this difficult growth pattern in place all day. (Optional: Spray with Zorian Of New York finish spray for a non sticky, quick dry finish for added hold)
For more information on customized classes at your barbershop, salon, school, or private training e-mail Greg@HowToCutHair.tv. For more information on becoming a premium retailer of Zorian Of New York men’s products contact Greg@ZorianOfNewYork.com or fill out our wholesale form.
In this video tutorial learn how to style a slicked back hair cut with pomade. This many times is the missing step for most men when styling their hair. To get that just out of the barbershop or salon look the hair needs to be styled correctly and the proper amount of the best type of product used. As a barber for almost 3 decades now I hear many times after finishing with a client the phrase “I will never get my hair to look like this.” My response if you follow my styling instructions it will look the same every time. Just takes a little effort.
How To Style a Slicked Back Hair Cut with Pomade:
1. Towel dry the hair thoroughly to remove the excess water.
2. Use a blow dryer. The brush and the blow dryer must move together to be effective. Using a nozzle will direct the heat for best results.
3. Dry the hair straight back on the top and sides and to the center in the back. Roll the brush on top to get a little bit of lift. The hair will naturally flatten out when applying the product so this will help the to avoid the final style looking to flat.
4. Apply the pomade. In this case we are using our Zorian of New York water soluble pomade. It is important that the hair is completely dry so it will not dilute the product at all and lessen the hold.
5. Use an ample amount of product and apply first with your fingertips on the top and sides to get the hair down to the scalp. Then take the palms of your hands and press down on the sides so it doesn’t look to puffy.
6. Use a comb first to comb the product through the hair. Next, use a vent brush to loosen up the hair but keep the slicked look. The wider the teeth the more it will separate the hair which is a personal preference.
We are proud to present our next Greg Zorian Barbering Techniques Hands On Workshop. This is our most popular class and will be held at the award winning Gregory’s Barbershop in Clifton Park, New York on Sunday, June 10th. Seating is limited and we will have a second instructor assisting to make sure everyone gets personal one on one attention to have a successful class experience.
Tuition includes catered lunch, Barbering Basics DVD ($100 value), mannequin ($50 value), and a free gift from Zorian Of New York Premium Hair Care Products ($55 value).
Morning Session: 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.
– Introduction to men’s haircut shape and sections (terminology)
– Introduction to basic men’s hair cutting techniques (terminology and demonstration)
Scissor Over Fingers
Scissor Over Comb
Clipper Over Comb
– Class will demonstrate correct holding of tools, body positioning in relation to the head, and correct posture for cutting
– Two hands – on haircuts on mannequins incorporating Scissor Over Fingers, Scissor Over Comb, and Clipper Over Comb.
Long men’s layer cut with disconnected bangs
Catered Lunch and Networking: 1 p.m. – 2 p.m.
Afternoon Session: 2 p.m. – 6 p.m.
– Three hands – on haircuts on mannequins focusing on all of the basic men’s haircutting techniques:
Professional Business Haircut
Ivy League Haircut
Bald Fade with Hard Part
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call Greg at (518)629-5394 for pricing options and to reserve your seat.
In the following video tutorial learn the features and benefits of selecting hair cream or matte pomade for short men’s hairstyle. This particular haircut is one of the most popular right now. It is a medium length fade with a short textured top easily styled with your fingers.
The product you select comes down to personal preference:
Our Zorian of New York grooming cream is a thick hair cream that provides a medium hold with a medium shine. It does not harden up and you can run you hands through your hair during the day and re-shape the style. It is water soluble which means it rinses out with ease without any left over residue. It is also infused with lavender oil and coconut oil which add moisture and contain essential vitamins for healthier hair.
Our Zorian of New York shaping paste is a matte pomade which is ideal for molding hair into any style. It has a firm hold without hardening up and leaves the hair with a matte or dry finish. Shaping paste is infused with Vitamin E which is a powerful antioxidant and Rosemary which gives the hair a thicker and fuller look. It is also water soluble and even with the strong hold it provides it rinses out easily without any leftover residue.
For this particular hair cut we selected the shaping paste. It gives the model a strong, long lasting hold with a matte finish which is exactly what he is looking for. As stated previously both products work excellent for this hairstyle. It will come down to your consultation with the client and their personal preference.
If you are interested in finding out more information about our Zorian of New York products or would like to be a premium retailer please visit our website and fill out the wholesale form and you will be contacted shortly.
Matte Pomade is a styling product that gives a firm hold with a dry looking finish. This is the opposite of what you would get with a classic pomade, grease pomade, hair cream, or any type of gel. Typically matte pomade products otherwise know as matte paste products are excellent for a variety of short men’s and women’s hairstyles. Currently these types of products have become popular with longer men’s styles as well.
Our Zorian of New York Shaping Paste fits into the category of Matte Pomade’s. Our paste gives the hair maximum hold without the crunchy feeling of a gel or classic pomade with a dry or no shine finish.
1. Water Soluble
2. Creamy Texture
3. Strong Hold
4. Infused with Vitamin E and Rosemary
5. Light, clean, and refreshing signature fragrance
6. Never tested on animals
8. Bio-Degradable packaging
9. Made in the U.S.A.
1. Rinses out with ease without any leftover greasy residue
2. Spreads in your hands and hair easily without any clumps
3. Great compliment to just about any hairstyle
4. Moisturizes the hair and scalp alone with helping to promote healthy hair
5. Fragrance is not overpowering and will clash with cologne’s, perfume’s, body spray’s, or deoderant’s
If you would like to become an exclusive retailer of our Zorian of New York products fill out our wholesale form at: http://www.zorianofnewyork.com/wholesale/ or contact Greg@ZorianOfNewYork.com