I had the honor of teaching 2 barbering demonstrations at IBS New York . It was a great experience meeting so many people in my home state. Many of whom I have met through my online subscription, YouTube, Facebook, and Instagram. I also had the pleasure to see many familiar faces that have attended hands on classes at my barbershops.
The first class I taught was titled “Classic Barbering 101”. See the class description below:
Learn the differences and stunning similarities between classic and modern barbering. Find out how the tools, techniques, and haircuts have changed as well as stayed the same. Watch third generation barber Greg Zorian demonstrate a haircut using techniques and styles from the “good old days” as well as today. Leave this class with a better understanding of the history of our industry as well as what a barber means to his/her community.
The next class I taught was titled “How To Cut and Style the Perfect Pomp”. See the class description below:
Learn the many barbering techniques necessary to create a perfectly balanced pompadour. Using a mix of scissor over comb, clipper over comb, straight razor sculpting, fading, and blending techniques Greg will walk you through the step by step process to completing this popular haircut. You will also learn the styling techniques and products necessary to make your pompadour stand out in a crowd.
I would highly recommend attending both of the International Beauty Shows held in New York City and Las Vegas. The education department does an outstanding job of hiring the best educators in the hair industry. After sitting in on many of my colleague’s classes including technical, business, and motivational I came away inspired and more motivated than ever to get back to work building my barbershops, seminar company, and product company.
In the following free barber video tutorial you will learn how to blend and style a low fade. This traditional version has a longer top with a close low fade. The fade is dropped lower in the back to balance out the longer top to allow more length for the problem cowlick or crown area that stands up easily if cut too short.
Instructional Step Guide:
Cut the top first. Over direct the front back to the middle of the ear in order to leave it longer.
Remove the bulk in the parietal area and just above the occipital area in the back. You can use either the clipper over comb or scissor over comb technique.
Fade with a detachable blade clipper or an adjustable clipper with attachment combs. Use a slow fading motion and blend into the previous cut for a smoother blend.
Create a tapered outline to make the fade stand out. Use an adjustable clipper in the longest blade setting with a scooping motion around the outline of the haircut to fade out.
Repeat the previous step with lever adjusted halfway and then to the shortest setting scooping the clipper a little bit lower each time to finish the taper.
Use a trimmer to line off the sideburns and the diagonal line behind the ears without cutting into the natural hairline. On the back of the neck use an upward shaving motion without getting too close to the tapered or faded hairline.
When the cut is complete style the hair. Blow dry the hair thoroughly with a vent brush by drying the hair forward, then to the side, and then up and back in the front. This will add volume and create the desired shape.
Apply the Zorian Of New York Shaping Paste to create a matte finish. Start by taking a full fingertip amount of product out of the jar and completely emulsifying into the palms of your hands. Our paste will not clump and spreads very easily like a cream but has a very strong hold that will keep the style all day. Apply to the hair by pushing forward on the top layer first, then to the side, and finally, apply from the front to the back down to the roots.
Use a wide tooth comb to get through the thick matte paste and comb into the desired style.
For more information on becoming a premium retailer of our Zorian of New York Products visit our product website and fill out the wholesale form. Someone will call you to consult you on an opening order and answer all of your questions.
In the following video tutorial learn the features and benefits of selecting hair cream or matte pomade for short men’s hairstyle. This particular haircut is one of the most popular right now. It is a medium length fade with a short textured top easily styled with your fingers.
The product you select comes down to personal preference:
Our Zorian of New York grooming cream is a thick hair cream that provides a medium hold with a medium shine. It does not harden up and you can run you hands through your hair during the day and re-shape the style. It is water soluble which means it rinses out with ease without any left over residue. It is also infused with lavender oil and coconut oil which add moisture and contain essential vitamins for healthier hair.
Our Zorian of New York shaping paste is a matte pomade which is ideal for molding hair into any style. It has a firm hold without hardening up and leaves the hair with a matte or dry finish. Shaping paste is infused with Vitamin E which is a powerful antioxidant and Rosemary which gives the hair a thicker and fuller look. It is also water soluble and even with the strong hold it provides it rinses out easily without any leftover residue.
For this particular hair cut we selected the shaping paste. It gives the model a strong, long lasting hold with a matte finish which is exactly what he is looking for. As stated previously both products work excellent for this hairstyle. It will come down to your consultation with the client and their personal preference.
If you are interested in finding out more information about our Zorian of New York products or would like to be a premium retailer please visit our website and fill out the wholesale form and you will be contacted shortly.
The classic men’s business cut will never go out of style. It is a side part hairstyle with enough hair to comb to the side on top and to comb back on the sides. Learn how to cut this hairstyle by combining many different barbering techniques including, scissor over comb, clipper over comb, straight razor over comb, and straight razor sculpting.
Step by step instructions:
1. Start on the top and create square layers using the barber shear over fingers technique.
2. Next, cut the sides and back with the barber shear over finger technique.
3. As you move to the lower portion of the sides and back use the barber shear over comb technique.
4. Cut the semi-finish area by using the clipper over comb technique to taper the hairline.
5. Finish up the outline using an outliner with a t-blade to create a clean line on the side burn area and the back of the neck behind the ears. Use an upward shaving motion to clean up the neck.
6. Add texture to the hair by first using a thinning shear over comb technique followed by the straight razor sculpting technique. This will help the haircut to hold it’s shape while growing out.
7. Style the hair with Zorian of New York grooming cream. Apply through the hair and use a vent brush to style. This will create a soft manageable hold that will last all day.
In this video tutorial learn the ivy league haircut styled with matte pomade:
1. Start by applying a drop Zorian Of New York firm hold gel. Our gel is a specialty blend of gel and pomade that is alcohol free and contains aloe vera to keep your skin and hair moisturized while avoiding flaking.
2. Using a hair dryer dry the hair forward, to the side, and then up in front. This will mold the hair into place.
3. Next, the Zorian of New York Shaping paste which is very easy to work with. It emulsifies like a cream without clumping in your hands or your hair and has a very strong hold. The Zorian of New York shaping paste is also infused with the powerful antioxidant vitamin E which helps to keep your hair and scalp healthy. It also contains rosemary which will keep your hair and scalp moisturized. The matte paste is water soluble and will rinse out easily without any leftover residue.
4. Take a full fingertip portion out of the jar and emulsify in your hands. Rub throughout the hair by pushing it forward first, to the side, and then back getting the product down to the roots for extra hold. Finally use a pick for ease of combing through the thick paste while creating the style desired with extra lift in front. Comb forward, to the side, and then back always following with your opposite hand with product still on it so not only will you have the product applied down to the roots but also over the top.
Visit: http://www.zorianofnewyork.com/wholesale/ for more information on how to become one of our exclusive retailers.