My wife is a huge dancing with the stars fan. As I was watching the show with her the other night she was judging the dancing and I was judging the haircuts. I saw one of the professional dancers with a great haircut that I had to write about. This is a low fade or tapered haircut that I have been teaching for years and would like to share a quick lesson plan for.
Step by Step Guide For The Low Taper/Fade:
- Start on the top area and using the scissor over comb or scissor over fingers technique. Pull the bangs up at a 90 degree angle and work your way back to the crown. Move the comb slowly so you can always see your previous guide in the comb.
- Take 1-2 sections to the right and left of the center guide. Keep using the scissor over comb technique and be sure to keep the comb parallel to floor to insure a square shape (leaving weight in the corners).
- Cut the round of the head section. For this step you can either start in the back or either side depending on if you are right or left handed. Use a scissor and comb technique holding the comb parallel to the sides and back area of the head and blend to the top area guide.
- For the sides and back section use the 3 ½ (3/8”) blade on the detachable blade clipper and the blade on skin technique. You will start to bevel the blade out slightly just below the temple area.
- Repeat step 4 with the 2 (1/4”) blade and then the 1 ½ (1/8”) blade. Make sure each time you drop down a blade size you start beveling the clipper about 1/2 inch below your previous guide (where you left off with your previous blade).
- Use the clipper over comb technique with the detachable blade clipper and the 1 ½ blade to finish the blend into the round of the head section.
- Cut the semi-finish area. Use the adjustable clipper with a 1/16” attachment. Set the lever to an open position to allow for a longer length. Next close the clipper blade for the next shortest length and repeat.
- Use the adjustable clipper without an attachment and repeat the previous step with the clipper blade open and cut with a scooping motion. Repeat this motion with the clipper halfway open and then closed.
- Move on to the finish with the trimmer using the blade on skin technique. Stretch the skin around the finish area using a scooping motion to complete the fade.
The complete “how to” video for this hairstyle is available here: http://www.howtocuthair.tv/the-executive-taper/